CheckmeUp is a deceptive adware program that offers free check for the speed of your web connection and broadband quality. However, it is an adware program that displays ads in your Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Such deception is used for spreading adware because CheckmeUp owners get paid for your clicks on promoted ads. CheckmeUp distributors are paid for installed copies of this software.
CheckmeUp is often deceptively installed with free programs that you may download from the web. This practice is called bundling, and CheckmeUp is just a one of adware programs that are installed this way. Since CheckmeUp is not a virus and is not blocked by antivirus software, ads started to appear in your web browser.
If you want to remove CheckmeUp adware and get rid of these ads, then you need to some work. First, you need to remove CheckmeUp application installed as a Windows program. Then you need to remove CheckmeUp extension from your Chrome, CheckmeUp add-on from your Firefox, and CheckmeUp BHO (browser helper object from your Internet Explorer. The last thing is cleaning you browser cache, removing temporary internet files, and restarting your web browsers. Just follow the guide below for CheckmeUp adware removal, or use the offered removal tool that helps to remove CheckmeUp and other malicious programs automatically.
This removal guide will help you to remove CheckmeUp manually or with a help of special software that removes CheckmeUp and other malicious programs. SpyHunter offers quality detection, clean removal, and real-time protection against malicious programs.
What is CheckmeUp?
CheckmeUp is adware program and web browser extension that track your web browsing and display ads in your web browsers. CheckmeUp adware consists of a similarly named Windows application and plugins present as web browser extensions, add-ons, and BHO. These CheckmeUp components are designed for tracking your web browsing and displaying advertising in various ways. If you click on CheckmeUp ads, then the owner gets profit for your click from promoters. That is why CheckmeUp is often deceptively installed. It wastes your time, web traffic, and compromises your privacy since gathered information about your habits are often shared among promoters. CheckmeUp is often distributed with free program downloads. It is deceptively installed unless you disable this optional program before installing the program that you download. Removing CheckmeUp is quite straight, but other adware that might come with it is often difficult to remove without special tools.
Protection against deceptively installed adware:
If you want to avoid installing programs like CheckmeUp, then you need to be careful while installing free programs. You can protect your computer with programs like SpyHunter that can trace your installations, warn you on all known threats to your security and privacy, and remove any threat found on your computer. Pay attention to check boxes placed in a setup wizard for a free program that you are installing. It helps you to notice additional programs bundled to the one you get. Always use “custom” installation instead of “typical”, or “normal” since these options might hide adware programs.
CheckmeUp Adware Removal ToolCheckmeUp Removal Tool is a part of SpyHunter that easily remove CheckmeUp and other malicious programs found on your computer. It detects all malicious elements and tracking cookies related to CheckmeUp malware. Free scanner shows you all the details and helps to delete CheckmeUp components manually if you want. This software is timely updated and offers a free professional support for removing mutating viruses. It helps to remove stubborn PUP (potentially unwanted programs) and spyware, protects DNS connection, your web browsers, ActiveX components, and other system elements form malware infection. SpyHunter helps to guard your computer against CheckmeUp and other threats. It protects your security and privacy.
Remove CheckmeUp from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall all CheckmeUp components. Use the following guide for manual removal. Then scan your computer with anti-spyware program to make sure that other hidden malicious programs are also removed.
Uninstall CheckmeUp on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "CheckmeUp" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall CheckmeUp on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight CheckmeUp program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall CheckmeUp on Windows XP
Uninstalling CheckmeUp from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on CheckmeUp program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove CheckmeUp from Chrome
Remove CheckmeUp extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find CheckmeUp extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove CheckmeUp from Firefox
Remove CheckmeUp add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find CheckmeUp add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove CheckmeUp from Internet Explorer
Remove CheckmeUp extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on CheckmeUp, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Note: This manual removal procedure is simple but your computer might be infected with other malicious programs. If want to remove all malware, then use CheckmeUp Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and get rid of other computer infections.
Remove CheckmeUp Adware Infection Completely
CheckmeUp adware might come bundled with other adware programs. Some of ads might also be used by cyber criminals for installing malware and exploiting your computer as a bot for illegal activities. After you remove CheckmeUp you need to run full anti-virus scan with an updated version of your antivirus and rescan your system with anti-spyware program like SpyHunter. This anti-malware software comes with a free scanner, and you can use scan results as a reference for manual malware removal, or opt for an automated one.