Search.safer.com might infect your web browsers Chrome, Firefox , and Internet Explorer when you download and install some free program or other content. It might come in a bundle with other adware programs, and it doesn’t use components that are visible to computer user. Search.safer.com redirects user’s web search to Yahoo and homepage to search.safer.com that will display ads and search results stuffed with promoted links instead of organic search results. Search.safer.com is a hard-to-remove stuff since it doesn’t have components that users can find, and the redirect is backed up by different means for making this thing stubborn and protected against removal.
This removal guide provides information for manual Search.safer.com removal. You also can use Spy Hunter, that protects your computer against future infections and offers online support for malware removal.
What is Search.safer.com?
Search.safer.com is a search redirect software installed on user’r computer along with free programs. It is designed for injecting promoted links into organic search results and collecting information about user’s browsing history. The search is usually redirected to search.safer.com, but it might point to other web address as well. This program makes some changes and installs some components that have to be removed for getting rid of this redirect. It is better to be careful while installing free programs today since the practice of monetizing free program development with bundled adware is common today. Removing Search.safer.com and redirect to search.safer.com requires time consuming procedures that are sometimes confusing to computer users since all web browsers are different and procedures needed for removing adware vary depend on browser.
Protection against deceptively installed hijacker:
Your attention and careful look at download clients and setup wizards that list optional software bundled to the program you get are important. It might be a lot easier for you to prevent installing adware if you use anti-malware with real-time protection like SpyHunter. Pay attention to marked check boxes since Search.safer.com is set for an automatic installation along with a free program. Use “custom” installation option that lists installed components, instead of “typical” that hides them along with adware components being installed.
Remove Search.safer.com from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall Search.safer.com related adware programs using “Add/Remove programs” system utility. Then you need to remove all suspicious web browser extensions and reset your web browsers home page and new tab to different address other than search.safer.com. Plugin removal is optional and depends on what other adware programs were installed along with free programs.
Use the following guide for removing Search.safer.com from your computer. Then scan it with antivirus and anti-spyware programs for removing other threats that infected your computer.
Uninstall Search.safer.com on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "Safer Search, Safer Browser" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall Search.safer.com on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight Safer Search, Safer Browser program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall Search.safer.com on Windows XP
Uninstalling Search.safer.com from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on Safer Search, Safer Browser program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove Search.safer.com from Chrome
Remove Search.safer.com extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find Safer Search, Safer Browser extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove Yahoo serarch engine address redirect from Google Chrome
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu list as shown above.
- Find "Search" and click on Manage search engines button.
- Select Yahoo search engine and click on "Remove" icon.
- Select your preferred search engine and click Make default option.
Remove Search.safer.com homepage redirect on Google Chrome
- Find "On Startup" section and click on Set pages link.
- Select Search.safer.com or other unwanted address and click Remove icon.
- Select or add your preferred homepage address and click on OK button or leave google.com as your default.
Remove Search.safer.com from Firefox
Remove Search.safer.com add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find Safer Search, Safer Browser add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove Yahoo serarch redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and enter "about:config" in address bar and press Enter.
- In a warning box press "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Find and double-click on "browser.search.defaultenginename" item in the list.
- Type preferred search engine name in the box and click OKbutton.
- Type preferred URL or "about:newtab" for a blank one and click OK button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
li>Find and double-click on browser.newtab.url item in the list.
Remove Search.safer.com from Internet Explorer
Remove Search.safer.com extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on Safer Search, Safer Browser, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Replace Yahoo with a preferred search engine for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons option as shown above.
- Click on Search Providers tab located on left side.
- Find and click on unwanted search provider name in the list of providers. Then click on Remove button.
- Find your preferred search provider and click on Set as default button.
Replace Search.safer.com homepage with a preffered one for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Internet Options menu item.
- Open General tab, find Home page section, and replace Search.safer.com with a preferred homepage address. Then click on Apply button.
Note: This manual removal procedure is quite time consuming. If your value your time, then you can save it by using Search.safer.com Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and scan your system with bundled free anti-spyware program to get rid of other computer infections.
Remove Search.safer.com Search Redirect Completely
Search.safer.com hijacker might use a trick with attaching the command line for the redirect to shortcut links related to infected web browser. Since many people are not aware if this, it makes Search.safer.com redirect stubborn. For removing this tricky redirect, you need to find any link on your desktop and in Windows menus and cut the tail.
- Right-click the link or the menu item related to your web browser.
- In the popup menu click Properties option placed at the bottom.
- In the opened dialog box click Target. Anything placed after [browser name].exe is a redirect that has to be removed.
- Remove the malicious tail attachment with a redirect.
- Do it for all shortcuts on your desktop and all menu items in the Start menu.
Search.safer.com redirect might come along with other unwanted programs. They display ads and redirect your web search, and you need to remove all of them and scan your system for identifying and removing other threats. Use decent and powerful antivirus software for protecting your system, and scan your system with a free anti-spyware program that comes with this removal tool for removing hidden threats that are legitimate in nature and are not addressed by antivirus products.