Search Start Point is search redirect virus installed with different free programs. This program hijacks web browsers, controls user’s search, displays ads, and redirects user’s search and homepage to search.strtpoint.com. This program consists of components installed as a program and as a set of web browser add-ons installed into Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It also changes browser’s new tab and homepage making it more difficult to remove. All this is made for injecting links promoted by search.strtpoint.com for making money out of your clicks while you get a search results that are less relevant to the search subject. Search Start Point is preset for an automatic installation when it comes with other free programs. If you do not pay attention for marked check boxes in setup wizards, then it will be installed and your web search will be redirected. Attempt to remove Search Start Point might end up with a frustration after you note that search redirect comes back because its component were not completely removed.
This removal guide provides information for manual Search Start Point removal. You also can use Spy Hunter, that protects your computer against future infections and offers online support for malware removal.
What is Search Start Point?
Search Start Point is a browser hijacker installed along with some of free programs that you can find on the web. It is designed for injecting promoted links into organic search results and collecting information about user’s browsing history. The search is usually redirected to search.strtpoint.com, but it might point to other web address as well. This program makes some changes and installs some components that have to be removed for getting rid of this redirect. It is better to be careful while installing free programs today since the practice of monetizing free program development with bundled adware is common today. Removing Search Start Point and redirect to search.strtpoint.com requires time consuming procedures that are sometimes confusing to computer users since all web browsers are different and procedures needed for removing adware vary depend on browser.
Protection against deceptively installed hijacker:
Removing Search Start Point and the search redirect components requires some time and knowledge. It is better to take a careful look on a free program setup wizards and stop all suspicious programs from ;being installed along with a wanted one. It is a good idea to always pay attention to marked check boxes since they might be set for installing search.strtpoint.com or any like program. Use “custom” installation option instead of going for “typical” if available because the last one might hide adware that will be installed along with a free program.
Search Start Point Adware Removal ToolSearch Start Point Removal Tool is a part of SpyHunter that easily remove Search Start Point and other malicious programs found on your computer. It detects all malicious elements and tracking cookies related to Search Start Point malware. Free scanner shows you all the details and helps to delete Search Start Point components manually if you want. This software is timely updated and offers a free professional support for removing mutating viruses. It helps to remove stubborn PUP (potentially unwanted programs) and spyware, protects DNS connection, your web browsers, ActiveX components, and other system elements form malware infection. SpyHunter helps to guard your computer against Search Start Point and other threats. It protects your security and privacy.
Remove Search Start Point from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall Search Start Point related adware programs using “Add/Remove programs” system utility. Then you need to remove all suspicious web browser extensions and reset your web browsers home page and new tab to different address other than search.strtpoint.com. Plugin removal is optional and depends on what other adware programs were installed along with free programs.
Use the following guide for removing Search Start Point from your computer. Then scan it with antivirus and anti-spyware programs for removing other threats that infected your computer. Samples of needed products you can find on the sidebar.
Uninstall Search Start Point on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "Search Start Point" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall Search Start Point on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight Search Start Point program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall Search Start Point on Windows XP
Uninstalling Search Start Point from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on Search Start Point program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove Search Start Point from Chrome
Remove Search Start Point extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find Search Start Point extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove serarch engine address redirect from Google Chrome
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu list as shown above.
- Find "Search" and click on Manage search engines button.
- Select search engine and click on "Remove" icon.
- Select your preferred search engine and click Make default option.
Remove homepage redirect on Google Chrome
- Find "On Startup" section and click on Set pages link.
- Select or other unwanted address and click Remove icon.
- Select or add your preferred homepage address and click on OK button or leave google.com as your default.
Remove Search Start Point from Firefox
Remove Search Start Point add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find Search Start Point add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove serarch redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and enter "about:config" in address bar and press Enter.
- In a warning box press "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Find and double-click on "browser.search.defaultenginename" item in the list.
- Type preferred search engine name in the box and click OKbutton.
- Type preferred URL or "about:newtab" for a blank one and click OK button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
li>Find and double-click on browser.newtab.url item in the list.
Remove Search Start Point from Internet Explorer
Remove Search Start Point extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on Search Start Point, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Replace with a preferred search engine for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons option as shown above.
- Click on Search Providers tab located on left side.
- Find and click on unwanted search provider name in the list of providers. Then click on Remove button.
- Find your preferred search provider and click on Set as default button.
Replace homepage with a preffered one for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Internet Options menu item.
- Open General tab, find Home page section, and replace with a preferred homepage address. Then click on Apply button.
Note: This manual removal procedure is quite time consuming. If your value your time, then you can save it by using Search Start Point Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and scan your system with bundled free anti-spyware program to get rid of other computer infections.
Remove Search Start Point Search Redirect Completely
Removing adware and spyware installed along with Search Start Point might be tricky since this programs are profitable and thus protected. You already learned what programs you need to remove, but it is difficult to find out how many more like programs are still left hiding somewhere on your computer. Use SpyHunter or anti-spyware that comes with removal tool for scanning your system since some threats are legitimate products like Search Start Point, and conventional anti-virus programs do not remove legitimate stuff.