TheSmartSearch.net might infect your web browser, Chrome, Firefox , or Internet Explorer after you download and install some free program bundled with this browser hijacker. Such bundling is used for monetizing activities by various websites that distribute freeware, and the installation is often deceptive. TheSmartSearch.net is used for link promotion and advertising paid for by business partners, and the distributors often make TheSmartSearch.net redirect removal as complicated as possible.
TheSmartSearch.net consist of many different files placed in folder different folders, and this makes it difficult to remove if you follow advises that involve such complicated way of TheSmartSearch.net removal. In fact, you can do it by removing related windows application and TheSmartSearch.net extensions installed in web browsers. Then you need to fix browser settings and remove the redirect to www.thesmartsearch.net. It might get more complicated if other adware or malware is present on your computer along with TheSmartSearch.net, especially one that interferes with user’s attempts to fix web browser settings.
This removal guide provides information for manual The Smart Search removal. You also can use Spy Hunter, that protects your computer against future infections and offers online support for malware removal.
What is The Smart Search?
The Smart Search redirect might be caused by The Smart Search plugins or other adware plugin that sets this search engine in your web browsers for replacing a normal one. Some of these programs might claim protection against the redirects but used for protecting the installed redirect against removal by competitors or by a user. This tricky and stubborn nature of the redirect design helps to earn higher income. For example, if you find a program and browser extensions that sounds like ones designed to protect your browsers, they are might be a primary cause of the The Smart Search redirect that is also protected by such programs. The Smart Search might depend on the way it was installed. It might be just set in your web browsers by a download client, or you can get The Smart Search related hijacker incorporated in adware installed with a free program. Distributors of adware use any legitimate way of tricking you into installing unwanted program and changing your search engine. You need to be careful while installing free programs or to use SpyHunter that have a real time protection against such legitimate things like The Smart Search adware.
Protection against deceptively installed hijacker:
Programs like The Smart Search, are initially set for automatic installation when they come with free programs. The information about additional programs is present but often intensively hidden from users view. You need always read labels placed near marked check boxes and use “custom” installation option instead of “typical” since additional programs might hide there. Finally, just be attentive while installing some downloaded content since many people fail to notice unwanted programs before it is too late and The Smart Search or other such program should be somehow removed.
The Smart Search Adware Removal ToolThe Smart Search Removal Tool is a part of SpyHunter that easily remove The Smart Search and other malicious programs found on your computer. It detects all malicious elements and tracking cookies related to The Smart Search malware. Free scanner shows you all the details and helps to delete The Smart Search components manually if you want. This software is timely updated and offers a free professional support for removing mutating viruses. It helps to remove stubborn PUP (potentially unwanted programs) and spyware, protects DNS connection, your web browsers, ActiveX components, and other system elements form malware infection. SpyHunter helps to guard your computer against The Smart Search and other threats. It protects your security and privacy.
Remove The Smart Search from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall components related to The Smart Search and protecting it against removal. Here we give you some file names, but The Smart Search might be installed by different programs and so you might need more work. You also can download Spy Hunter for a free scan and find out what programs are found malicious. Then you need to remove these programs from the list of installed programs and from your web browsers. And finally, you need to fix browser settings for removing redirect to www.thesmartsearch.net that are no more protected after you remove files.
Use the following guide for manual removal. Then scan your computer with anti-spyware program to make sure hidden malicious programs and spyware are also removed.
Uninstall The Smart Search on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "any suspicious" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall The Smart Search on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight any suspicious program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall The Smart Search on Windows XP
Uninstalling The Smart Search from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on any suspicious program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove The Smart Search from Chrome
Remove The Smart Search extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find any suspicious extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove thesmartsearch.net serarch engine address redirect from Google Chrome
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu list as shown above.
- Find "Search" and click on Manage search engines button.
- Select thesmartsearch.net search engine and click on "Remove" icon.
- Select your preferred search engine and click Make default option.
Remove thesmartsearch.net homepage redirect on Google Chrome
- Find "On Startup" section and click on Set pages link.
- Select thesmartsearch.net or other unwanted address and click Remove icon.
- Select or add your preferred homepage address and click on OK button or leave google.com as your default.
Remove The Smart Search from Firefox
Remove The Smart Search add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find any suspicious add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove thesmartsearch.net serarch redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and enter "about:config" in address bar and press Enter.
- In a warning box press "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Find and double-click on "browser.search.defaultenginename" item in the list.
- Type preferred search engine name in the box and click OKbutton.
- Type preferred URL or "about:newtab" for a blank one and click OK button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
li>Find and double-click on browser.newtab.url item in the list.
Remove The Smart Search from Internet Explorer
Remove The Smart Search extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on any suspicious, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Replace thesmartsearch.net with a preferred search engine for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons option as shown above.
- Click on Search Providers tab located on left side.
- Find and click on unwanted search provider name in the list of providers. Then click on Remove button.
- Find your preferred search provider and click on Set as default button.
Replace thesmartsearch.net homepage with a preffered one for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Internet Options menu item.
- Open General tab, find Home page section, and replace thesmartsearch.net with a preferred homepage address. Then click on Apply button.
Remove The Smart Search entries from system registry:
Delete The Smart Search files and folders:
Note: This manual removal procedure is quite time consuming. If your value your time, then you can save it by using The Smart Search Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and scan your system with bundled free anti-spyware program to get rid of other computer infections.
Remove The Smart Search Search Redirect Completely
The Smart Search with search redirect potentially might link you to websites that can be infected or involved in spreading malicious programs. These programs help cyber criminals to spy on you and use your computer for an illegal activities on the web. Anti-spyware scanner, that you get along with the removal tool for free, helps to remove spyware and makes your system more secure and private. After you remove The Smart Search you need to run full antispyware scan, then update your antivirus program and check for viruses. Use the antispyware that comes with The Smart Search Removal Tool for free, and have your computer protected against spyware for a full year.
You also need to look for possible malicious redirects placed into your Hosts file and remove them. If you notice some problems with search redirects, check your web browser proxy and default settings and reset them to defaults. Do not forget to clean all the cookies from your web browsers.