Start2me is a hijacker that replaces your default search engine and homepage for Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer. It is distributed and installed with other free programs that you may download from the web. If you want to remove Start2me and restore your preferred search, then you need to uninstall programs related to Start2me. You also need to remove web browser extensions related to Start2me. Then, you need to fix your web browser and replace start2.me with your preferred search engine. If Start2me browser hijacker is the only problem, and there is no other malicious programs, then you will be able to remove Start2me manually. Otherwise, it is better to use special security software for automated process that will remove Start2me and other malicious programs from your computer.
If you want to remove Start2me ads, remove other malicious programs, and protect your computer against future infections, then use SpyHunter. This security software provides real-time protection and helps to keep your web browser clean and safe. SpyHunter has a very reliable malware detection rate and provides a very useful scan results that might help you with Start2me removal if you prefer to manually remove Start2me components.
What is Start2me?
Start2me redirect can be installed and maintained by one of adware engines installed as a program and web browser extensions. It is hard to find out which program is responsible for this redirect since there are many adware programs, and any one can install the redirect. Your web browser might be also hijacked by a download client that installs free programs from websites that use adware bundling for profit. Deceptive installation methods let easily infect user’s computers while removing Start2me and like programs is quite complicated due to design mentioned above. It is better to avoid installing adware programs by inspecting download clients and installation wizards for free programs that should comply legal requirements and place a warning about additionally installed programs somewhere. Being careful equals to being protected, but it is always a good idea to use anti-malware protection offered by Spy Hunter and similar programs that can detect and block unwanted and dangerous programs.
Protection against deceptively installed hijacker:
Browser hijackers redirect viruses, and commercial programs like Start2me, are initially set for automatic installation when they come with free programs. The information about bundled adware is either hidden behind “typical” installation option or placed in a way that make it looking as some unimportant option like links on desktop. That is why many people just fail to notice these intruders. You need to be careful while installing free programs and other media since removing bundled adware like Start2me is time consuming and requires different procedures that you might be unfamiliar with.
Remove Start2me from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall programs related to Start2me, remove Facebook app, and reset your web browsers to eliminate the redirect. Use the following guide for removing Start2me components from your computer. Then scan your computer with antivirus and anti-spyware programs to for removing other dangerous programs and viruses.
Uninstall Start2me on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "suspicious" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall Start2me on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight suspicious program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall Start2me on Windows XP
Uninstalling Start2me from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on suspicious program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove Start2me from Chrome
Remove Start2me extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find suspicious extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove start2.me or other unwanted serarch engine address redirect from Google Chrome
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu list as shown above.
- Find "Search" and click on Manage search engines button.
- Select start2.me or other unwanted search engine and click on "Remove" icon.
- Select your preferred search engine and click Make default option.
Remove start2.me homepage redirect on Google Chrome
- Find "On Startup" section and click on Set pages link.
- Select start2.me or other unwanted address and click Remove icon.
- Select or add your preferred homepage address and click on OK button or leave google.com as your default.
Remove Start2me from Firefox
Remove Start2me add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find suspicious add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove start2.me or other unwanted serarch redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and enter "about:config" in address bar and press Enter.
- In a warning box press "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Find and double-click on "browser.search.defaultenginename" item in the list.
- Type preferred search engine name in the box and click OKbutton.
- Type preferred URL or "about:newtab" for a blank one and click OK button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
li>Find and double-click on browser.newtab.url item in the list.
Remove Start2me from Internet Explorer
Remove Start2me extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on suspicious, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Replace start2.me or other unwanted with a preferred search engine for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons option as shown above.
- Click on Search Providers tab located on left side.
- Find and click on unwanted search provider name in the list of providers. Then click on Remove button.
- Find your preferred search provider and click on Set as default button.
Replace start2.me homepage with a preffered one for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Internet Options menu item.
- Open General tab, find Home page section, and replace start2.me with a preferred homepage address. Then click on Apply button.
Note: This manual removal procedure is quite time consuming. If your value your time, then you can save it by using Start2me Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and scan your system with bundled free anti-spyware program to get rid of other computer infections.
Remove Start2me Search Redirect Completely
Removing adware and spyware installed along with Start2me might be tricky since this programs are profitable and thus protected. You already learned what programs you need to remove, but it is difficult to find out how many more like programs are still left hiding somewhere on your computer. Use SpyHunter or anti-spyware that comes with removal tool for scanning your system since some threats are legitimate products like Start2me, and conventional anti-virus programs do not remove legitimate stuff.