Terra.im hijacks web browsers Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer for redirecting users to different search page used for link promotion. It is installed by a hijacker that comes with freeware downloads, and then it redirects your web search or homepage to terra.im. For making it difficult to remove, Terra.im uses desktop and menu link infection.
If you want to remove Terra.im and restore your preferred search, then you need to uninstall recently installed application related to Terra.im if you can find it in the list of installed programs. You also need to remove suspicious web browser extension or similar extension related to Terra.im. After you remove this components, you need to fix your web browser and replace terra.im with your preferred search engine. Finally, you need to fix infected links in your desktop and menus related to web browsers installed on your computer. If Terra.im browser hijacker is the only problem, and there is no other malicious programs, then our guide for manual Terra.im removal will help you. Otherwise, it is better to use special security software for automated process that will remove Terra.im and other malicious programs from your computer.
For removing all malicious programs from your computer use SpyHunter that offers reliable malware detection and clean removal. It finds even traces in your system left by malicious programs that were removed by your anti-virus software. SpyHunter offers real-time protection that helps to protect your computer against malware and unwanted redirects similar to Terra.im in the future.
What is Terra.im?
Terra.im redirect can be installed and maintained by one of adware engines installed as a program and web browser extension. It is hard to say which one program might be responsible for this redirect since there are many adware programs that use the same engines, and all of them have different names. Deceptive installation methods let easily infect user’s computers while removing Terra.im and like programs is quite complicated due to design mentioned above. It is better to avoid installing adware programs by inspecting download clients and installation wizards for free programs that should comply legal requirements and place a warning about additionally installed programs somewhere. Being careful equals to being protected, but it is always a good idea to delegate protection to a security program like Spy Hunter that keeps a database of adware programs and can easily detect and block them from being installed.
Protection against deceptively installed hijacker:
Programs related to Terra.im, are usually set for automatic installation when they come bundled with other freeware. The information about additional programs is present but often intensively hidden from users view. You need always read labels placed near marked check boxes and use “custom” installation option instead of “typical” since additional programs might hide there. Finally, just be attentive while installing some downloaded content since many people fail to notice unwanted programs before it is too late and Terra.im or other such program should be somehow removed.
Terra.im Adware Removal ToolTerra.im Removal Tool is a part of SpyHunter that easily remove Terra.im and other malicious programs found on your computer. It detects all malicious elements and tracking cookies related to Terra.im malware. Free scanner shows you all the details and helps to delete Terra.im components manually if you want. This software is timely updated and offers a free professional support for removing mutating viruses. It helps to remove stubborn PUP (potentially unwanted programs) and spyware, protects DNS connection, your web browsers, ActiveX components, and other system elements form malware infection. SpyHunter helps to guard your computer against Terra.im and other threats. It protects your security and privacy.
Remove Terra.im from Windows
For manual removal you need to uninstall all Terra.im search redirect components. First, you need to uninstall the program using “Add/Remove programs” utility, and then you need to remove web browser components of the Terra.im adware.
Use the following guide for manual removal. Then scan your computer with anti-spyware program to make sure hidden malicious programs and spyware are also removed.
Uninstall Terra.im on Windows 8
- On Metro screen click on "Search" icon. Then, type "Remove Program" in the input box and click on "Uninstall a program" menu option.
- Select "any suspicious" program and click "Uninstall" button at the top of the list.
Optional: If on a desktop, right click "Start" button (or the lower left corner) to open the "Quick Access Menu". Then find and click on "Programs and Features"
Optional: Click on "Control Panel" option. Find and click "Uninstall a Program" link in the menu list placed under "Programs" menu option.
Uninstall Terra.im on Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop and select "Control Panel" option on the right
- Click on "Programs and Features" menu option in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and highlight any suspicious program. Then, click "Uninstall" button and confirm program removal.
Uninstall Terra.im on Windows XP
Uninstalling Terra.im from Windows XP is very similar to one shown above. There are minor differences in a process:
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu on the right
- Find and double-click "Add/Remove Programs" list item in the Control Panel
- Search the program list and click on any suspicious program. Then, click "Remove" button.
Remove Terra.im from Chrome
Remove Terra.im extensions from Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome and click on Menu icon in the top-right corner. Select Settings in the drop down list.
- Click on Extensions on the left to display installed Chrome extensions. Find any suspicious extension and click on "Remove from Chrome" icon.
- Restart your browser.
Remove Terra.im serarch engine address redirect from Google Chrome
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu list as shown above.
- Find "Search" and click on Manage search engines button.
- Select Terra.im search engine and click on "Remove" icon.
- Select your preferred search engine and click Make default option.
Remove Terra.im homepage redirect on Google Chrome
- Find "On Startup" section and click on Set pages link.
- Select Terra.im or other unwanted address and click Remove icon.
- Select or add your preferred homepage address and click on OK button or leave google.com as your default.
Remove Terra.im from Firefox
Remove Terra.im add-on from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click Menu icon at the top-right corner. Click on Add-ons icon.
- Select Extensions on the sidebar. Find any suspicious add-on. Right-click it, and then click Remove button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Remove Terra.im serarch redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and enter "about:config" in address bar and press Enter.
- In a warning box press "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Find and double-click on "browser.search.defaultenginename" item in the list.
- Type preferred search engine name in the box and click OKbutton.
- Type preferred URL or "about:newtab" for a blank one and click OK button.
- Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
li>Find and double-click on browser.newtab.url item in the list.
Remove Terra.im from Internet Explorer
Remove Terra.im extensions from Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer click Tools icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on Manage add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab on left, right-click on any suspicious, and then click Disable option.
- Restart your web browser.
Replace Terra.im with a preferred search engine for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Manage add-ons option as shown above.
- Click on Search Providers tab located on left side.
- Find and click on unwanted search provider name in the list of providers. Then click on Remove button.
- Find your preferred search provider and click on Set as default button.
Replace Terra.im homepage with a preffered one for Internet Explorer
- Open Tools menu and click on Internet Options menu item.
- Open General tab, find Home page section, and replace Terra.im with a preferred homepage address. Then click on Apply button.
Note: This manual removal procedure is quite time consuming. If your value your time, then you can save it by using Terra.im Removal Tool instead of the manual removal and scan your system with bundled free anti-spyware program to get rid of other computer infections.
Remove Terra.im Search Redirect Completely
Terra.im hijacker might use a trick with attaching the command line for the redirect to shortcut links related to infected web browser. Since many people are not aware if this, it makes Terra.im redirect stubborn. For removing this tricky redirect, you need to find any link on your desktop and in Windows menus and cut the tail.
- Right-click the link or the menu item related to your web browser.
- In the popup menu click Properties option placed at the bottom.
- In the opened dialog box click Target. Anything placed after [browser name].exe is a redirect that has to be removed.
- Remove the malicious tail attachment with a redirect.
- Do it for all shortcuts on your desktop and all menu items in the Start menu.
Terra.im redirect might come along with other unwanted programs. They display ads and redirect your web search, and you need to remove all of them and scan your system for identifying and removing other threats. Use decent and powerful antivirus software for protecting your system, and scan your system with a free anti-spyware program that comes with this removal tool for removing hidden threats that are legitimate in nature and are not addressed by antivirus products.